Transgender Law Center works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We are looking for an energetic, motivated, enthusiastic, and highly skilled leader to join our growing team as the Deputy Director or Director of Programs (the final title and responsibilities will be informed by the candidate’s background and experience). The position is based in the organization’s San Francisco office. The Deputy Director/Director of Programs will play a critical role at Transgender Law Center and in the movement for transgender equality by leading organizational efforts to:
- Promote economic and racial justice for transgender and gender non-conforming families.
- Expand healthcare access for transgender people.
- Advance policy and movement building strategies that expand transgender people’s rights and wellbeing, with an emphasis on the most vulnerable members of our community.
The Deputy Director/Director of Programs will join a team of passionate, smart, and dedicated individuals who work hard, laugh easily, and are eager to learn and grow together as we change the world.
The Deputy Director/Director of Programs, reporting to the Executive Director, will be directly engaged in planning, implementing, and supervising the day-to-day operations as well as providing leadership, strategic direction, and management for Transgender Law Center’s programmatic efforts.
Depending on the position, the Deputy Director/Director of Programs will have key responsibility to:
- Serve as the lead management staff regarding day-to-day operations and personnel issues.
- Coordinate organizational efforts in areas of management coaching, leadership development, annual planning, and professional growth opportunities for staff.
- Partner with the Executive Director and the senior management team on institutional priorities and long-range planning and ensure that the values of racial, economic, and gender justice are reflected at all levels of the organization.
- Assist in developing strategic responses to emerging and ongoing local, state, national, and federal policy issues, including health care access, economic justice, student safety, prisoners’ rights, and immigrants’ rights.
- Lead programmatic efforts to improve access to health care, racial justice, economic justice, and education for transgender people.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with policymakers, organizational partners, and transgender community leaders.
- Conduct and develop trainings on transgender civil rights for various audiences, including health care providers, employers, and policymakers.
- Supervise the work of various departments, including staff, volunteers, and consultants.
- Promote a positive office culture based in fun, commitment to shared values, and mutual respect and caring.
The ideal candidate will have the proven ability to develop and lead internal day-to-day operations as well as the ability to lead movement-building efforts based in the core values of racial, economic, and gender justice. This person will be highly effective at getting results in a fast-paced environment through building effective and sustainable teams of staff and other organizational leaders. This person should have a proven track record that demonstrates exceptional relationship-building abilities, experience in policy advocacy and community organizing, and advanced program planning skills.
Specifically, the ideal candidate would have these qualifications:
- Three to five years of high-level non-profit management experience or equivalent.
- A proven track record in racial justice and/or trans justice organizing and movement building.
- Demonstrated experience working within communities of color and transgender communities.
- Significant experience in managing/supervising people, projects, and departments.
- Demonstrated experience in program planning, budgeting and financial management.
- A movement strategist with knowledge of how to maximize the impact of various social change strategies such as litigation, legislative advocacy, administrative advocacy and/or community mobilizing.
- Ability to self-motivate, self-direct, and manage multiple projects simultaneously as well as a commitment to teamwork and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and quickly gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including board and staff members, donors, foundation and civic leaders, volunteers, and community partners.
- A track record as an effective communicator, highly skilled in writing and speaking, with the ability to communicate Transgender Law Center’s mission and interests to a broad audience; adept at crafting proposals, donor correspondence, toolkits, and other written materials.
- Very strong technology skills; must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Excel.
- A catalyst with vision who can create excitement and energy around Transgender Law Center’s programs and encourage others to support the organization.
- Experience with grassroots, major donor, and institutional fundraising strategies.
- Willingness to travel and to work long hours as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Employer-paid benefits include medical and dental; matched retirement savings; three weeks’ vacation; and sabbatical program.
Email your résumé with a letter of interest to: Masen Davis at email@example.com. Please include “Deputy Director/Director of Programs Search” in the subject line of your email.
All applications are reviewed and acted upon as they are received. The position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as promptly as possible. Only those applicants selected for an interview will receive a response. No telephone calls please.
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
For more information about Transgender Law Center please visit our website: www.transgenderlawcenter.org.