Transgender Law Center is seeking energetic persons to develop and apply philanthropic development skills supporting Transgender Law Center. Position descriptions vary and can be tailored to the interests of applicants.
Philanthropic Development Volunteers
This volunteer opportunity will provide you with insight into the exciting field of non-profit, social justice communications, and give you a base of knowledge and experience to prepare you for your future career.
This program is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in the field of marketing, fundraising, or social justice movement work – and will give you access to the experts and thought leaders who are changing laws, policies, and attitudes to achieve transgender equality.
You will learn about and have a practical laboratory in which to apply skills in the following areas…
Non-profit Communications and Development Tools
- Salesforce, a widely-used database system
- Constant Contact, a widely-used system for managing non-profit e-communications such as newsletters and fundraising appeals
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Fundraising – How to financially sustain the work and mission of a non-profit
- Foundation and Corporate Grant Applications
- Relationship Development – cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors
- Event fundraising
- E-based and direct mail copy writing
- Creating e-communications such as e-newsletters, action alerts, and fundraising appeals
Administration and Leadership
- Gain insight into strategic decision making as well as the challenges and opportunities facing non-profits
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and leadership volunteer committees
- Attend staff meetings and shadow senior management, including the Executive Director as available
- Ability to work in TLC’s Oakland office a minimum of 6 hours per week
- Minimum two month commitment
- Preference will be given to applicants making a longer commitment
About Transgender Law Center
Transgender Law Center works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression.
We are looking for motivated, and mission-oriented volunteers who are eager to learn how to utilize communications and development skills to help advance the strategic priorities of TLC. The position is based in Oakland, California.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Radha Rodriguez, Associate Manager of Development and Operations at email@example.com including “Philanthropic Development Volunteers” in the subject line. Applications and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.