Apply online for this position: https://transgenderlawcenter.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk06mjh/
School-Year and Summer Legal Internship (Law Clerk) Positions
Transgender Law Center – Oakland Office
About Transgender Law Center: Transgender Law Center is the nation’s largest organization dedicated to advancing the rights of transgender and gender non-conforming people. We work to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We envision a future where gender self-determination and authentic expression are seen as basic rights and matters of common human dignity. We pursue a multidisciplinary approach to advocacy, including nationwide impact litigation, policy advocacy, public education, and a legal helpline that serves nearly 2,500 people each year. Our legal and policy work focuses primarily on issues of economic justice and health care access, with a secondary focus on the range of other issues affecting the transgender community including prisons, school safety, and immigration. You can learn more about our work at www.transgenderlawcenter.org.
About the position: We accept applications on a rolling basis for school-year or summer clerkships with Transgender Law Center. Clerkships will provide law students with a unique opportunity to gain a first-hand education in transgender law through providing direct legal assistance to transgender community members and their families, assisting with litigation, conducting legal research and writing, and educating community members about their rights. Prior experience or knowledge of transgender law is preferred, but not required. Clerks will receive regular training and supervision by Transgender Law Center attorneys.
Law clerk duties may include:
- Assist in drafting first-line responses to legal questions from transgender community members and their families
- Assist in drafting legal documents, such as name and gender change petitions, Medi-Cal appeals, and civil filings
- Conduct legal research and draft memos
- Assist with litigation on a wide range of issues that could include health care access, employment and housing discrimination, and access to name and gender changes
- Assist in maintaining accuracy of existing “Know Your Rights” materials and practice guides, as well as identifying appropriate topics and creating new publications
- Assist in presenting legal workshops to community groups and client populations throughout the country
- Interest in transgender issues & civil rights law
- Commitment to racial & economic justice
- Strong writing and research skills
- Available to work for a minimum of 10 hours per week (for law clerks during the school year) or full time (for summer law clerks)
Transgender people, people of color and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as folks with the ability to speak additional languages, especially Spanish.
Transgender Law Center is generally unable to provide compensation to our law clerks, although funding may become available for students with demonstrable financial need. We also encourage applicants to seek funding through their law schools or alternative sources. Credit may also be available through your school.
Please note: We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.