Job Opening at Transgender Law Center
Transgender Law Center works to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We are looking for an energetic, motivated, and mission-oriented Director to help create and execute programs that increase access to healthcare and economic stability; advance racial and gender justice; expand the rights and wellbeing of trans and gender nonconforming communities; and promote the leadership and engagement of trans and gender non-conforming people in the South.
TLC’s Southern Regional work is in partnership with Southerners on New Ground (SONG) – TLC@SONG. The Southern Regional Director will lead the opening of an Atlanta, GA based office for TLC@SONG. This position will join a team of passionate, smart, and dedicated individuals who work hard, laugh easily, and are eager to learn and grow together as we change the world. The position is based in Atlanta, GA.
The Southern Regional Director will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of TLC@SONG including the opening of an office in Atlanta, GA in partnership with SONG.
The Southern Regional Director will:
- Assist in developing strategic responses to emerging and ongoing policy issues in the South, including health care access, economic justice, racial justice, student safety, prisoners’ rights, and immigrants’ rights.
- Manage and execute programmatic efforts to improve access to health care, economic justice, racial justice, and education for transgender people in the South.
- Conduct and develop trainings on transgender rights for various audiences, including health care providers, employers, and policymakers.
- Support the development of community-facing public education materials, including ‘know your rights’ materials and training curricula for the Southern Region.
- Coordinate programmatic events and other leadership development and movement building activities in the South.
- Develop and maintain close working relationships and coalitions with transgender groups, organizational partners, and community leaders.
- Speak publicly about transgender policy issues at community events, conferences, and other venues.
The ideal candidate would have these qualifications:
- Experience in racial justice and/or trans justice advocacy and movement building in the South.
- Demonstrated experience working within immigrant communities, communities of color and transgender and gender non-conforming communities in the South.
- Demonstrated experience with managing organizational partnerships and collaborations.
- Demonstrated experience in program planning and management including budgeting and financial management.
- Experience with office management and administration preferred.
- Significant experience conducting trainings tailored to different audiences.
- Ability to self-motivate, self-direct, and manage multiple projects simultaneously as well as a commitment to teamwork and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and quickly gain the respect and support of various constituencies, including board and staff members, donors, foundation and civic leaders, volunteers, and community partners.
- Basic technology skills; must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Excel.
- 4 years of experience with electoral, legislative, labor and/or community organizing in the South preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Willingness to travel as necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Employer-paid benefits include medical and dental; matched retirement savings; three weeks of vacation; and sabbatical program.
Email your résumé with a letter of interest to: Kris Hayashi at email@example.com. Please include “Regional Director” in the subject line of your email.
All applications are reviewed and acted upon as they are received. The position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended that you submit your materials as promptly as possible. Only those applicants selected for an interview will receive a response. No telephone calls please.
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
For more information about Transgender Law Center please visit our website: www.transgenderlawcenter.org.