Staff Attorney, Detention Project
Transgender Law Center’s Detention Project works to end the abuses transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people experience in prisons, jails, immigration detention, state hospitals, and other forms of detention, and at the hands of law enforcement.
Specific responsibilities of the Detention Project Staff Attorney include:
- With the support of other members of the legal team, litigate precedent-setting cases in trial courts and on appeal, including developing litigation strategy, managing relationships with co-counsel, performing legal research, and drafting briefs.
- Investigate and develop potential new cases, including corresponding with and meeting with potential clients, finding and reviewing records, and drafting demand letters.
- Read and respond to letters from detained individuals, providing them with appropriate information, resources, and referrals.
- In coalition with other organizations, engage in advocacy with prisons, jails, and other detention facilities and law enforcement agencies to improve policies and conditions for TGNC people.
- Analyze and draft potential legislation, regulations, and policies; draft persuasive materials aimed at decision makers; and provide technical assistance to other advocates on bill language and strategy.
- Draft written materials relating to litigation and advocacy efforts, including press releases, blog posts, know-your-right guides, and articles.
- Engage in education efforts for community members and attorneys, including speaking at conferences, trainings, and webinars.
- Engage in education efforts for law enforcement and detention facilities about TGNC people, their needs, and their legal rights.
- Represent the organization in interviews with reporters.
- Support the work of the legal team and the organization generally.
The position is full-time and will include some travel and work at nights and on weekends.
- Membership in the bar of one or more states
- At least one year of experience practicing law
- Experience with legal or policy advocacy relating to detention or law enforcement
- Familiarity with transgender and gender nonconforming communities
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and transgender rights
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to write clearly and speak in public
- Skill at working collaboratively both within the organization and with other groups
- Strong personal organization and time management skills
- Creativity, professionalism, and good judgment
- Enthusiasm for the work of the organization and its potential
- Willingness to travel and to work long hours as necessary
- Significant litigation experience
- Experience working with communities of color and transgender communities
- Spanish language skills
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Employer-paid benefits include medical and dental; matched retirement savings; three weeks’ vacation; and sabbatical program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. All interested individuals, including people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex are particularly urged to apply. For more information about Transgender Law Center please visit our website: www.transgenderlawcenter.org.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and legal writing sample to Legal Director Ilona Turner (PGP: she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Detention Project Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.