Apply online for this position: https://transgenderlawcenter.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0m1ni
About Transgender Law Center: Transgender Law Center is the nation’s largest organization dedicated to advancing the rights of transgender and gender non-conforming people. We work to change law, policy, and attitudes so that all people can live safely, authentically, and free from discrimination regardless of their gender identity or expression. We envision a future where gender self-determination and authentic expression are seen as basic rights and matters of common human dignity. We pursue a multidisciplinary approach to advocacy, including nationwide impact litigation, policy advocacy, public education, and a legal helpline that serves nearly 2,500 people each year. Our legal and policy work focuses primarily on issues of economic justice and health care access, with a secondary focus on the range of other issues affecting the transgender community including prisons, school safety, and immigration. You can learn more about our work at www.transgenderlawcenter.org.
About the position: TLC’s Trans Immigrant Defense Effort (TIDE) was created as an emergency response to the first year of the Donald Trump administration. That effort will involve organizing, support for local transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) immigrants, legal and policy advocacy, and direct legal assistance for TGNC immigrants. One critical element of the project will involve working with pro bono lawyers to provide high-quality legal representation to TGNC immigrants in their immigration petitions and immigration court proceedings.
The TIDE Pro Bono Coordinator will work with the TIDE Staff Attorney to:
- provide TGNC immigrants with legal information and connect them to pro-bono attorneys and legal service providers;
- recruit, match and coordinate pro bono lawyers to meet the demand for culturally appropriate, high quality immigration legal services for TGNC immigrants;
- train pro bono attorneys across the country on how to best represent TGNC immigrants, including in affirmative asylum petitions, citizenship applications and areas of removal defense; and
- provide mentoring and technical assistance to pro bono attorneys who represent TGNC immigrants; and
- collaborate with grassroots LGBT immigrant rights groups to develop a community-led deportation defense model that places directly impacted community members at the center of their own defense and advocacy.
Read the full job description below or download here.
Please note: We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.