Transgender Law Center’s Detention Project works to end the abuses transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people experience in prisons, jails, immigration detention, state hospitals, and other forms of detention, and at the hands of law enforcement.
Specific responsibilities of the Detention Project Volunteer include:
- Read and respond to letters from detained individuals, providing them with appropriate information, resources, and referrals.
- Enter clients’ information into a database and create reports.
- Assist attorneys and program managers in advocacy with prisons, jails, immigration detention and other detention facilities and law enforcement agencies to improve policies and conditions for TGNC people.
- Draft persuasive materials on issues related to prison/ immigration detention reform.
- Familiarity with transgender and gender nonconforming communities
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and transgender rights
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to write clearly and speak in public
- Enthusiasm for the work of the organization and its potential
Please send a cover letter, resume, and legal writing sample to Detention Project Director, Flor Bermudez, Esq. (PGP: she/her) at email@example.com with “Detention Project Volunteer” in the subject line. Applications and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.