Last week, we held a webinar on changing federal identity documents, as there is a lot of anxiety and concern in the community around access to those processes under a Trump administration. Federal IDs include passports, immigration paperwork, and Social Security Administration documents.

Many people, though, are seeking information on correcting birth certificates, a process controlled by individual states. Since the policies for changing gender markers on a birth certificate vary state-by-state, there is a confusing patchwork of processes across the country. Some states require a court order, some require surgery, some require a doctor’s letter, and a few, unfortunately, do not provide for gender marker correction. We’ve assembled a quick overview of the policies in each state, with links to further instructions for each state.

Check out the resource here or below!

Download (PDF, 135KB)