Transgender Law Center is committed to ending the detention of transgender immigrants, and has worked to that end with successful campaigns like #FreeNicoll and #FreeChristina, as well as advocacy and direct actions targeting ICE and detention centers through the #Not1More deportation campaign.
The Honor Trans Immigrant Lives initiative continues and builds upon that history with work to strengthen capacity within trans immigrant communities, including national strategy calls for transLatina leaders and leadership-building retreats for transgender immigrants.
To mark the launch of this initiative and celebrate the #Not1More Deportation National Week of Action, TLC released the “Honor Trans Immigrant Lives” artwork in November 2015 for use at Transgender Day of Resilience events across the country and in ongoing actions to end detention. The artwork was created by Mojuicy as part of the Transgender Day of Resilience Art Project, organized by Forward Together.
News about TLC’s Work on Immigration
- Black LGBTQ+ Migrant Project (BLMP) Celebrates Release of Nigerian Asylum-Seeker Udoka Nweke from Adelanto Detention Facility September 27, 2018
- Transgender Law Center Responds to Murder of Nikki Janelle Enriquez: “We refuse to become numb to this rapid accumulation of injustices September 19, 2018
- TODAY: Trans and Queer Migrants & Allies Demand An End To Detention and ICE August 27, 2018
- TLC statement on Sessions asylum decision June 12, 2018
- La Muerte de Una Mujer Transgenero en ICE Es Una Llamada Para Tomar Ación May 29, 2018
- Death of trans woman in ICE detention highlights need for action May 29, 2018
- WATCH: TLC staff meet with trans women in makeshift refugee camps at border as caravan seeks asylum May 3, 2018
- If Silence=Death, Where is the HIV Community’s Voice Resisting the War Against Immigrants in the United States? May 1, 2018
- TLC wins asylum for transgender woman from Mexico April 9, 2018
- Join BLMP for a conversation on being Black, LGBTQIA, and migrant in America March 6, 2018