Transgender Law Center is committed to ending the detention of transgender immigrants, and has worked to that end with successful campaigns like #FreeNicoll and #FreeChristina, as well as advocacy and direct actions targeting ICE and detention centers through the #Not1More deportation campaign.
The Honor Trans Immigrant Lives initiative continues and builds upon that history with work to strengthen capacity within trans immigrant communities, including national strategy calls for transLatina leaders and leadership-building retreats for transgender immigrants.
To mark the launch of this initiative and celebrate the #Not1More Deportation National Week of Action, TLC released the “Honor Trans Immigrant Lives” artwork in November 2015 for use at Transgender Day of Resilience events across the country and in ongoing actions to end detention. The artwork was created by Mojuicy as part of the Transgender Day of Resilience Art Project, organized by Forward Together.
News about TLC’s Work on Immigration
- We must be our refuge: message from Kris Hayashi January 28, 2017
- TLC Rallies Resistance to Presidential Actions Targeting Immigrants and Muslims January 25, 2017
- Transgender Law Center launches Trans Immigrant Defense Effort (TIDE) January 18, 2017
- Our 2017 Plan of Resistance January 12, 2017
- Transgender Law Center and MALDEF file lawsuit against Indiana Gov. Mike Pence challenging discriminatory name-change law September 13, 2016
- Community Safety Tips for Pride, Community Centers, Parties and Events July 7, 2016
- Consejos de Seguridad para Pride, Centros Comunitarios, Fiestas y Eventos July 7, 2016
- Isa Noyola speaks out about Orlando shooting on Democracy NOW! June 22, 2016
- Formerly Detained TransLatina Immigrant Women Share Experiences, Demands in Historic Meeting with ICE Officials June 16, 2016
- New report finds human rights violations pervasive against transgender women in Mexico May 26, 2016