ID Please: Quick Guide to Changing Federal Identity Documents

new-id-plsThis is the quick-guide version of our comprehensive resource, ID Please: A Guide to Changing California & Federal Identity Documents to Match Your Gender Identity.

This quick guide includes the information you need for changing records with the Social Security Administration, passports, consular report of birth abroad, and documents issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

To learn more about what the 2016 U.S. Presidential election might mean for your access to legal name and gender changes, please visit here.

Download (PDF, 313KB)



Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation.

Contact Us

Transgender Law Center
PO Box 70976
Oakland, CA 94612-0976

phone: 510.587.9696
collect line for people in prison and detention: 510.380.8229

Media Requests
EIN (tax identification number): 05-0544006


Charity Navigator Four Star Charity Seal