Transgender Law Center is a multidisciplinary organization that advances the movement for gender justice using an integrated set of approaches, including strategic litigation, policy advocacy, educational efforts, movement building, and the creation of programs that meet the needs of transgender and gender nonconforming people and communities.
Our programs include:
- Bay Area Legal Clinics – Through a generous fellowship provided by the Pride Law Fund, Transgender Law Center began hosting Bay Area legal clinics conducted by Tom Steel Fellow Daniel Faessler in October 2014.
- Detention Project – Transgender Law Center’s Detention Project works to end the abuses transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people experience in prisons, jails, immigration detention, state hospitals, and other forms of detention, and at the hands of law enforcement.
- Legal Information Helpline – The Legal Information Helpline provides basic information about laws that affect transgender people, including employment, health care, civil rights, family law, and identity document changes.
- Movement-Building – Transgender Law Center is committed to addressing critical issues faced by the most vulnerable members of our community while centering their voices and leadership.
- Positively Trans (T+) – Positively Trans (T+) is a constituent-led project grounded in the principle that we are all capable of forming our own network, telling our own stories, and developing our own advocacy strategies in response to inequities, stigma, and discrimination over punitive laws and lack of legal protections in our local communities.
- TLC@SONG – TLC@SONG is a new form of national collaboration, marrying Transgender Law Center’s long history of legal, policy and trans-specific expertise with Southerners on New Ground (SONG)’s well-respected southern base-building and organizing shop.
- TRUTH – TRUTH is a national trans and gender nonconforming youth storytelling campaign that aims to build empathy, understanding, and a movement for youth to share their stories in their own words and in their own way.