TLC’s Community Resistance Network, powered by incredible volunteers, allows TLC to expand the range of direct legal services provided for our community.
Whether you’re interested in fielding requests that come in through our Legal Information Helpline (as a Helpline Intake Volunteer), supporting our Trans Immigrant Defense Effort (as a TIDE Volunteer), conducting research to update and expand the information we’re able to offer (as a Research Volunteer), or sharing policies and advocacy guides with trans people in prisons and jails (as a Detention Project Volunteer), you will play a critical role in helping Transgender Law Center connect community members with information, resources, and legal representation.
All positions can be remote: commit to at least three hours a week, but volunteer from anywhere, on your own schedule. Find more information about the positions below the form.
If you are an attorney and are interested in providing legal assistance, please join our Legal Resistance Network.
1) Helpline Intake Volunteer
TLC’s Legal Information Helpline provides basic information about laws that affect transgender people in the areas of employment, healthcare, civil rights, family law, and access to identity documents. Each year, TLC’s Legal Information Helpline receives over 2000 calls and emails from transgender and gender nonconforming community members and their families seeking legal information, resources, and referrals, and the number keeps growing. We rely on trained volunteers to meet this significant need.
Specific responsibilities of a Legal Helpline Volunteer may include:
- Help process incoming calls and voicemails, perform intakes, and gather information from transgender and gender nonconforming community members looking for legal assistance.
2) TIDE Volunteer
TLC’s Trans Immigrant Defense Effort (TIDE) recruits and trains pro bono attorneys to meet the urgent need for legal services among transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) immigrants. The program provides TGNC immigrants with legal information and connects them to these pro bono attorneys and legal service providers. It also works with grassroots community partners to develop a community-led deportation defense model that places directly impacted community members at the center of their own defense and advocacy.
Specific responsibilities of a TIDE Intake Volunteer include:
- Assist TIDE with various tasks, including translating documents, conducting research, and providing support for detention center visits.
3) Research Volunteer
The volunteers who respond to inquiries from our Legal Information Helpline rely on an internal database we use to track laws, policies, and resources across multiple areas of law and all 50 US states. We are looking for volunteer support to help us keep this database up-to-date and to expand its scope to provide more helpful and extensive information to everyone who contacts the Helpline.
Specific responsibilities of a Research Volunteer include:
- Investigate laws and policies relevant to transgender and gender nonconforming people’s legal questions.
- Compile information about direct service providers and other sources of assistance across the country.
- Review and edit our information database to ensure the language is clear and the pages are well organized.
4) Detention Project Volunteer
Transgender Law Center’s Detention Project works to end the abuses transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) people experience in prisons, jails, immigration detention, state hospitals, and other forms of detention, and at the hands of law enforcement.
Specific responsibilities of a Detention Project Volunteer may include:
- Respond to letters sent by trans and gender nonconforming people in prisons and jails requesting legal information and resources
- Draft case summaries for incarcerated trans people to help us connect them with attorneys that can represent them
- Scan, file, and sort incoming letters and print and mail responses (if able to volunteer from our Oakland office)
As a volunteer for TLC’s Community Resistance Network, in any position, you will:
- Learn about the legal rights of transgender and gender nonconforming people.
- Help us provide information and resources to community members.
- Help individuals navigate our often complex and confusing legal system.
- Help connect people with knowledgeable pro bono lawyers in their area.
- Support TLC’s legal team in identifying potential impact litigation cases.
- Make a difference in the both the movement for transgender civil rights and the day-to-day lives of individual community members!
Required qualifications to be a volunteer (any position):
- No prior legal experience or education is required!
- Familiarity with transgender and gender nonconforming communities
- Commitment to racial justice and transgender rights
- Enthusiasm for the work of the organization and its potential
- For the TIDE Intake Volunteer position, fluency in Spanish or another language widely spoken by immigrants to the U.S. is strongly preferred.