Today, Transgender Law Center, Black LGBTQ+ Migrant Project – BLMP, and Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement are hosting a rally and march that will center how Black and brown trans and queer people are uniquely impacted by immigration detention and demand an end to detention for all vulnerable people. In particular, we are uplifting our demand for #JusticeforRoxsana, a trans woman and asylum-seeker from Honduras who died earlier this year while in ICE custody, and to #FreeUdoka, a gay man from Nigeria who has been held in detention for almost two years.
The march will be streamed live from TLC’s Facebook page, and you can find more at the event page here.
Why we’re marching:
- We demand an end to the detention and deportation of trans and queer migrants as well as the criminalization of Black people.
- We call on LGBTQ+ and immigrant rights movement to decry anti-Blackness and engage in active solidarity with Black LGBTQ+ migrants by uplifting our presence and leadership.
- We demand the release of all trans people currently detained at all immigration detention facilities around the country, including right here at the Cibola County Correctional Facility.
- We demand an end to all forms of immigration detention and deportation.
- We call for the complete abolishment of ICE and prisons.